Starting off our Bible Book Analysis Study was the book of Genesis. The details of our study for Genesis is below.
Author: Moses (possibly others) Theme: Creation Date: 1459 B.C.
- The only book that gives a recorded account of the beginning of earth’s time, life, the introduction of sin, the process for salvation and the birth of the Hebrew Israelite nation.
- It begins with four major events:
- The Fall
- The Flood
- The Dispersal of the Nations
- The Greek Bible of the Old Testament (The Septuagint) applied the word Genesis to this book, which is Greek for “beginning”
- The Hebrew title is Bereshith, which means “In beginning”
- Moses was the primary author, but his successor Joshua may have also contributed though all was perhaps inspired by Elohim (Divine Revelation, Oral Tradition)
- Exodus 17:14, 24:4,34:27
- The scriptures don’t read “I Moses” there may have been a scribe but Moses still gets credit for the account. This is why many scholars don’t believe Moses wrote the book.
- Joshua 1:7, 1-8
- People may judge the Bible because it was written by man. The question to ask is whether it was done autonomously or were they commissioned by a higher celestial authority to gain insight on what to write, say and how to write and say it. This is called dictational inspiration.
- One of the ways we prosper is by being committed and loyal to Elohim as well as being obedient & faithful.
- Joshua 1:8 – Do not let this book of the Torah depart from your mouth, which means whatever you shall say will be according to My word.
- The formula for success is to put Elohim first and you will be prosperous and successful.
- Luke 24:44,27
- The first 40 years of Moses’s life he spent as Pharaoh’s son learning the wisdom of the Egyptians (Act 7:22). He was educated and strong.
- Moses spent the next 40 years in the Desert of Median as a shepherd learning humility (Exodus 2:15-19)
- The final 40 years he spent wandering in the Sinai Desert with the children of Israel (Acts 7:30-32). He led them and test them to see who would keep the word/laws of Elohim (Deuteronomy 8:1-3)
- It doesn’t take 40 years to get to Canaan from Egypt. There is a reason for the extended time; it was punishment for their rebellion and disobedience. The time allowed them to be tested, refined and reformed.
- There is only one law that covers the intangibles “Thou shall not covet”. It is a thought. Everything else is based off of a work.
- Moses was built up and then stripped down to be humbled to do the work of Elohim
May the blessings of Yah be with you and your family