There is a vegan explosion among us and while I still like the mac & cheese I grew up on, I’m open to the vegan option especially if it’s healthier for the body. Here’s a recipe I found for Vegan Mac & Cheese that looked easy enough to try. Enjoy!
The World’s Best Vegan Mac n Cheese for Real!
Deborrah of BlacksGoingVegan.Com
Number Servings:4-6 servings
Total Time:45 mins
What You Need
- 2 cups plain unsweetened plant milk (flax, hemp, or organic soy are my favorites)
- 1 cup quality nutritional yeast flakes
- 4-5 large cloves fresh garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons organic prepared yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 4-5 oz. popcorn oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Himalayan pink salt or sea salt (or to taste)
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt (for cooking pasta)
- 8 oz. sturdy pasta (small elbows, bows or small penne work best)
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes (optional)
- ⅔ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (optional)
How to Do It
- Place 8 cups of water in large pot. Add 2 vegetable bouillon cubes and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to boil and cook pasta al dente according to package directions.
- Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees.
- Just before pasta is done, remove 1 cup of cooking water from the pot and set aside.
- Drain pasta (do not rinse!), and let sit in colander.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare the cheese sauce.
- Put 2 cups plant milk, yeast flakes, fresh garlic, mustard, lemon juice, Himalayan pink salt, black pepper, and paprika in blender.
- Blend for about 60 seconds on high speed.
- Reduce speed to “blend” (medium), and while still running, add the vegan butter.
- Continue blending while you slowly pour in the popcorn oil until cheese sauce has thickened slightly.
- If sauce gets TOO thick, add in some of the pasta water a Tablespoon at a time to thin it out. The sauce thickens as it cooks with the pasta, so keep that in mind.
- Pour the pasta into your loaf pan.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir to coat well. Don’t skimp on the sauce!
- Top with seasoned bread crumbs and/or parsley if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
May the blessings of Yah be with you and your family!